Monday, June 15, 2009

I've just submitted the first chapter of my book to a contest with the League of Utah Writers.

If you know me, this is a big deal. I am more of a hide-my-talent-under-a-bushel kind of guy. The last thing I submitted was back in my senior year of high school, a last minute sort of thing, the three poems I submitted to Argus, Orem High School's student literary magazine. I turned them in on the day of the deadline, and I apparently was the dark horse--a student who never had attended any of the teacher's classes who ran the contest, but I took third place. I was elated!

I have a colleague, Eric Mutch, who is an aspiring author as well. He has taken me under his wing and been pushing me to finish, edit, and submit something to the LUW for weeks now. True to form, I worked on it last night, and procrastinated again to the eleventh hour before turning it in. The deadline was today, and my brother-in-law and I raced for the post office after printing my submission.

My feelings are jumbled now--excitement mixed with a bit of apprehension; the trepidation over the extra 213 words beyond the 3000 limit, wondering if the submission will be received well. All in all I am glad, these new actions of editing, submitting my work for scrutiny, and dissecting my writing with Eric Mutch. I feel as if I am on the path which will lead me to the ultimate goal, to become a published author.

Here's to a good reception of my work and to helpful feedback from this new literary group I am joining!

-Jay

4 comments:

Rob said...

Dream the dream, chase the dream and then live the dream. There is nothing like the road to the height of our potential. It may be scary, tough and occasionally filled with peril but in the end, its worth the climb. GOOD LUCK WITH THE SUBMISSION..

Beth said...

That's so great, Jay! I'm glad we got to hang out with you guys that day! It was a lot of fun. Jode had fun going with you, and riding in your sweet mustang. You really are a great writer, I love you!

Jarubla said...

Thank you Rob and Beth!

Eric said...

I can't wait for the conference.