Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Leap Year

Oh how I could leap and fly
while listening to the 1812
(I feel in this song that you'd save me, oh God)
But what a paradox--such a song as this for a war!
It makes me feel as if I'd wings~
That this dusty mortal plane
held down by nothing at all but mocking matters
so serious, and yet anklebiting, all of it
(this murder, hatred, and war to the knife)
nothing but tin bits, machinations of gears and wheels
and toylike could be knocked over,
as simply as a child tosses them in bins.
So rising up, dusting off this mortality in these wingbeats
I could cleave to the sky
Laughing~laughing oh God!
At the seriousness of all this nothing
life's hammering stannic din exchanged
for the aureate whisper of wings.

-Jay
4-21-09

2 comments:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

April 25th:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, JAY!!! LOVE YOU!!! HOPE YOU HAVE A FUN DAY!