Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Exercising My First Amendment

I was tipped off to this topic today because a "law" had been passed by the government to define who a 'right wing extremist' was. My co-worker came up to me and was shaking his head that belief in an 'end of days' scenario classified him as an extremist. I was a bit surprised, realizing there are millions of Americans who feel the Bible is the word of God (and speaks of such scenarios), so I did a little digging and came up with the DHS pdf. It isn't a law, so that rumor was debunked, but it has some very distressing language in it. To be fair and honest, there is a 'left wing extremist' pdf as well identifying potential 'left wing extremist' activity. Both docs are worth a look.

There are a few sections which baked my noodle. The biggest is the one I mentioned above; that all Christian folk who believe in putting a little food/ammo by or believing in 'end of days' scenarios are now possibly 'right wing extremists'. True, they do throw a single bone out to us right wing folk who believe in God-- one paltry attempt at saying there are legitimate honest law abiding types who just want to be allowed to defend their family and property from criminals: "Both right wing extremists and law-abiding citizens share a belief that rising crime rates attributed to a slumping economy make the purchase of legitimate firearms a wise move at this time."

Way to go DHS, way to go. Seems awfully paranoid on their part to me. And I dislike the fact that I could be potentially profiled by their dossier. Shame on you guys for lumping in a majority of God fearing Americans with possible terrorists and extremists.

http://www.thelibertypapers.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hsa-rightwing-extremism-09-04-07.pdf

The above pdf is compliments of foxnews.com:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/14/homeland-security-warns-rise-right-wing-extremism/

-Jay

3 comments:

Jarubla said...

More clarification:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/protest-grows-report-right-wing-radicalization/

-Jay

didymus said...

I don't think you should worry too much. During the Bush years I was accused by more than a few government entities of "supporting terrorism", "treason", "aiding and abetting the enemy", etc. But since I'm a Christian, a pacifist, and I try to actually love my enemies as Christ would, I've never worried that much about my "profile" with the government's security apparatus, even one that was known for it civil rights violations, and use of torture. The government never did anything against me accept smear my name, just for disagreeing with them.

Unless you are armed to the teeth, with bucket loads of ammo in your living room, and you're preaching that the apocalypse is going to happen... oh, say next week or so... then I doubt you really have much to worry about.

Jarubla said...

Thomas,

Thank you for the feedback--nice to hear the moderate voice in all this hubub.

I am no apocalypse zealot, and don't have thousands of rounds of ammo or piles of food. I just hope the DHS realizes that most folks are pretty normal and still believe in being prepared with the proverbial ace up the sleeve.

-Jay