Monday, August 11, 2008

U.S. Men's 4x100 Freestyle Relay

I got to watch the Olympics last night and witness that record breaking race. Amazing! Incredible! What a feat of Herculean ability! To see the come from behind victory was an Olympic experience right up there with watching Mary Lou Retton in 1984. Simply amazing. And simply too great for words. 

Many others have written words of greater eloquence about this event; the media loves things like this--a firestorm of writing will have been posted about it by the time I type this. My tiny words here are to pay a homage, albeit a small one, to the greatness of their deeds. These men did something last night that was truly remarkable. They shattered the old record (set a year ago, if you can call it old) by four seconds. That just doesn't happen every day.

When Lezak started to close at the 40 meter to go mark, I jumped up and was yelling at the TV in my front room. When he slapped that wall at .08 ahead of the French team, the reaction on Phelps' face was classic--a legion of emotion washed across it. I saw a moment of fear, a moment of incredulity, and then raw elation unleashed. It was one of those Walt Whitman "Yawp" moments, and was caught and recorded and will be replayed for years to come. I wanted to call someone, to yell too, to laugh and sing and express my pride over such a thing. A New Olympic record! Five teams beating the old record, and a new record for the 100 meter, and the fastest time in a 4x100 freestyle leg! What a race!

And I am very glad to say I was "there" to see it live. Fantastic!

I sure have enjoyed the Olys this year. Have been watching every night for hours on end.

Heres a link to NBC's website with a video clip just in case you missed it.

GO USA!

-Jay

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Jay! It was so fun to see your comments on my blog... so glad we found each other on cyberspace!
I feel exactly like you - that was such an amazing moment... and just as I write this, we've just witness Phelps get his 3rd gold... SWEEEEET!!!!
The olympic spirit lives on, those are the moments that take our breath away, that we find our own finger stretching as if it's going to help them reach further, I think these are the moments that every single one of them do this for - hip, hip, hooray... goooooo USA!
What a great blog... I look forward to enjoying you more often! ;)

Tricia said...

Jay! It was so fun to see your comments on my blog... so glad we found each other on cyberspace!
I feel exactly like you - that was such an amazing moment... and just as I write this, we've just witness Phelps get his 3rd gold... SWEEEEET!!!!
The olympic spirit lives on, those are the moments that take our breath away, that we find our own finger stretching as if it's going to help them reach further, I think these are the moments that every single one of them do this for - hip, hip, hooray... goooooo USA!
What a great blog... I look forward to enjoying you more often! ;)