Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good Morning

I haven't posted up in a few days and wanted to make sure my handful of readers had something new when they typed in my blog address.

So good morning friends and readers, thank you for for stopping by.

I am huddled under both a blanket and jacket in my cubicle this morning, the 6 am outdoor air still frigid and cracking with frost. Its supposed to be spring, but old man winter is fighting back a bit after getting jipped out of those two weeks we had of early spring which snuck unnoticed under the umbrella of winter.

"In the spring, I have counted 136 kinds of weather inside twenty-four hours" -Mark Twain

With Utah, if you are bored with the weather, wait a few hours as it will change. Sunday and Monday were in the high 70's/ low 80's. Yesterday had high winds, blown dust, and snow. Today? Who knows.

“Too often man handles life as he does the bad weather, He whiles away the time as he waits for it to stop.” -Alfred Polgar

Fantastic quote. Makes me wonder how often I use the "waiting on things" mentality--I just have to get through, put my time in on, or make it stretch out till payday? The attitude that accompanies these delays is not one of mutual tolerance. They are arduous and usually frustrating.

This post is taking a direction which I had not anticipated. Oh, sure I've thought of these things before, but why today? Why now?

Melissa and I want our own house and have been stymied in that area (long story, I'll tell it sometime). We're working with the kids in the potty training war (mostly good days now, few accidents!). We both work to both pay the bills (which surmount so easily yet pay down so very slowly). How do we celebrate the weather around us when all we see is the storm?

“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” -John Ruskin

Attitude then is the key. And hope. And faith. Belief that what I do matters to four people still sleeping at home right now. And those four are my world.

“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renenwed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.”
-J.R.R. Tolkien

-Jay

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I love this post! You certainly made my morning brighter! I love you!!!

riotimus said...

I love your author quotes. Keep writing.

R.

ANDREA said...

k- LOVED all the quotes. and yeah- how does the weather change every 1/2 second around these parts.

but anyway- this: Attitude then is the key. And hope. And faith. Belief that what I do matters to four people still sleeping at home right now. And those four are my world.

was my favorite paragraph ever to be read on a blog. i loved it for real.

Gretschzilla said...

This post is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad to be reading blogs today.