Monday, March 17, 2008

4 am Does Exist!

I started my new schedule today. It consists of waking at 4 am and coming in to work by 5 in the hopes of getting off by 1:30. Not a big deal normally, if you are a morning person, but if you know me you know I tend to the traits of a night owl (and mornings are a bit of an anathema to yours truly).
Last night was a normal night, I made it to bed by dark-thirty. I'd set my alarm on my cell phone for 4 am in hopes of waking early enough to enjoy a scalding hot shower and a few minutes for some toast before running off to work with said toast firmly gripped between my teeth.
Instead, last night I tossed and turned waking every 30 minutes or so convinced I'd slept through my first day of 5 am starts. Versus sleeping the alloted 5 hours last night, I found myself compelled to wake and determine if I could still sleep. Oh the delicious paradox of the situation!
So this morning when the alarm truly went off, you can imagine my surprise when I came to realize that 4 am did indeed exist.
I showered, dressed, and found the two cans of Melissa's Dr Pepper I'd set out previously against the fatigue I knew was coming. As I walked out the front door after telling her goodbye for the day, I could feel silent eyes upon me. It was Orion and the waning moon hanging low in the sky. I imagine they were wondering why I was setting out so early on this brisk St. Patrick's day.
I scraped off the window to my car, my lonely vigil hurried by the fact that I still felt the eyes upon me, and drove in to work.
The day has yet to break upon me, instead I still feel like I'm in a dream. I can imagine all too soon the reality of my work will catch up to me, as well as the fact that I slept only a mere dozen winks in the 5 hours of sleep last night. But for now, I float in the dream. And in my dream I sure got a sweet parking spot!

-Jay

No comments: