Thursday, December 20, 2007

Amen Roland! Read On...

This post was on the "Sound Off" section of CNN, by the contributing author Roland Martin. All I can say is wow, and amen. This statement is a great stab at the idiocy of political correctness. And it's given by a passionate Christian black male, a writer/journalist for CNN.

What have we done to Christmas???

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/20/roland.martin/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

My favorite part of the article:

"I know that may sound strident, but it's true. We spend an inordinate amount of time focused on shopping and buying gifts, but really, what does any of this have to do with the birth of Jesus? We have families all over the nation killing themselves to buy a tree they can't afford, running up their credit to buy toys and other gifts, all in an effort to make someone else happy."

And

"Parents, don't be so consumed with the notion that your children will have a terrible Christmas because the tree isn't overflowing with gifts. The true love that you show them is more important than anything else."

I hereby call the forum for discussion open.

-Jay

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I agree with what he is saying. I mean, our kids keep asking when Santa is coming, but they aren't asking when Jesus' birthday is coming. Hm. Maybe we need to rectify that and at least make sure that they know why we are celebrating it. I have also been thinking that we should limit the amount of presents they each get... maybe to three each. AND next year they will be making presents for everyone along with me to give to them themselves. LOL. Thanks for sharing this eye opening article and for the great reminder of what Christmas is all about and what the focus should be. I love you!