Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Confession of a Reading Mind

I have been devouring some books these past four weeks, and wanted to post a quasi-log here.I will not be posting my thoughts of each work beyond a paragraph or so. Sorry, my analysis is not going to be logged verbatim here. I will however, as I said mention a brief synopsis of each book

So far read in the past month:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by JK Rowling (All her HP books are very good!)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling
Hary Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling
The Spaces in Between by Rory Stewart (Excellent, read below posting)
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Best EH book, period)
Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer (Good ideas here, similar flavor to Foundation by Asimov, or to Ender by Card)
Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obrett Skye (Excellent first two chapters, felt somewhat fragmentary. His descriptions of the characters were well worth the read)
Kokopelli's Flue by Will Hobbs (Very nice story, told in a first person, felt like recapitulation or an oral epic)

If you look at my titles, you just might be wondering what the heck I am trying to do here.
I am working for a ballance between the informative and the adolescent, in effort to condition my own mind for the opportunity of creating my own work of fiction (of which I am currently working, there...the cat's officially out of the bag). I have grandiose dreams, an amazing spouse, a true passion for literary works, and a burning desire to just see these darned dreams come to fruition. Between that, and the feeling that the hand of destiny and opportunity is on me, I feel like I am going to succeed. I have convinced three folks, who posess excellent critical thinking skills, into being my pressing proofers--they will have their red pencils sharpened and one or both of their eyes beady in preperation. Thank you Melissa, Lynn and Kara for being my guinea pigs.

For the other two-point-five of you who read my blog, I can promise a copy when it has been kneaded out into somehting worthy. Till then, I am off this damnable internet (save for an occasional trip to find a synonym) to hammer out some more of the tin of my book.

-Jay

PS

Please post up what you've been reading this summer!!

-Jay

1 comment:

riotimus said...

I am glad you are writing. That looks like a good list of books. I have considered reading the Harry Potter books, but I have yet to do it. Maybe after I graduate. Since I've been commuting I have listened to a lot of audoi-books, most of which I have posted on Write On, but I am currently listening to Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls." I have found it to be fantastic and I recommend it to anyone who is unhappy with the US's current political situation. As far as actual reading, I have just been digging through twentieth-century historian's accounts and interpretations of the Norman Conquest for my capstone paper. Write on.

R.