Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Whirlwind of a day!

Yesterday was the big dance, the whole enchilada, whole the ball of wax, the hot potato.

It started with my littlest waking up at 5 with a poopy diaper and a grump grump grump. She'd had enough of sleeping in a strange crib in a strange room. We were all tucked away in one of the spare bedrooms at Lynn and Karols, and vainly struggling to dream about dancing sugarplums, but in the end awoke to run to get medicine from home for Maddy and finally open presents.

What a great Christmas morning! Maddy and Griff were both so excited about every present being unwrapped, regardless of who it was for. They kept cheering and walking about the wrapping paper strewn floor to check out the loot. The older cousins were preoccupied with these fun tricycle/skateboard contraptions, and Melissa kept on saying how surprised she was and how much of a great job I did with her gifts. :)

We went to Great Grandma Jensen's house in Ogden, and due to the early hour of rising, we even made it to her house at 10:30-ish. We were the first ones there and got to enjoy her, Cliff, Lois, Ranelle, and Luann all to ourselves for about an hour and a half. Grandma of course spoiled us again with her inheritance money (this woman has close to 60 relatives she gives $ to each Christmas and birthday), and she cried and told us all how much she loves us. This is yet another woman in my life who is just an incredible person. Kind, hard working, and giving--she's an example to me. My miniscule words here are just a tiny smudge on her great canvas of life, but she always feels the need to have her family belong in that painting. Again, incredible woman.

We drove home, both the kids and Melissa snoozing in their seats. I wished I was asleep, but drove on, drinking Diet Dr Pepper and thinking.

By the time we got home I felt like I was in a dream. I was so tired, I tried to lay down, but Hyrum wanted some attention. He and I tried to snuggle for a bit, but Hyrum is 9/10ths wiggle worm and that lasted about 2 minutes. Dan came up the stairs to give us a Christmas Present of Hickory Farms Smoked Salmon (YUM!) and some mustard & horseradish sauce. He left for Dave & Tomas and we meant to join him shortly. Melissa and I loaded up the car with the remaining presents and the chocolates she has been painstakingly making these past weeks, and then went to wake up Maddy form her nap. She was grumpy, and after we carried her tot he car and proceeded to buckle her in, she promptly threw up all over the place. I am not talking cute little baby spit up; this was chunky industrial grade nuclear waste. And to top it all off, it just gets me right in the old ticker whenever one of my kids is sick, especially as babies. They don't know what the heck is going on, they are hurting, crying, messy, and the stuff is so smelly. I grabbed her from the car seat and carried her inside to the kitchen, she was all drippy and crying. Melissa and I rinsed her off in the sink, and then Mel whisked her off to the bathtub. I threw her clothes into the wash, then ran to Maverik, the only store thankfully crazy enough to be open on Christmas day. I bought a 2 liter of 7-up, and then came home. After kissing Melissa, Hyrum and I went to the Blair Party at Dave's house.

I may post more on that later. It was a blast between watching Dave, Chip and the Nephews play "Guitar Hero" on the PS2, to eating, the gift exchange and white elephant, and shooting hoops. Mom and Grandmother came, and having the both of them there was very special. There was much laughter and a great night of memories with my family.

Finally Hyrum and I drove back to Lynn and Karols, Melissa had me put Maddy down for a nap in the basement, and I proceeded to load up the Christmas Loot and transport it home. I was so tired and ornery at this time, thankfully the Movie they were watching ended (The Devil Wears Prada), and it was time to go. I woke up Maddy, who threw up again (this time on me), and tried to wash her up in the sink again. Melissa and Karol helped, and I packed all the remaining stuff out to the car, shirtless, as my clothes along with Maddy's jammies were in a bag in the back seat.

We drove home, readied the kids for bed in record time, and lay down. Finally alone! Sleep and our own bed had never felt so good...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It was a great Christmas! It would have been perfect if Maddy hadn't thrown up. And I still love my presents! Almost went a whole week without having to wear something not brand new. :) I love you so much! Thanks for making my Christmas memorable.