Friday, September 22, 2006

Do you have a favorite addage?

Something old and sagely handed down through the ages of time that benefits countless millions? My favorite is a recent addition to the cluster of knowledge man has carded together out of the wooly morass of human thought. It flows like this:

"You and pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't roll your friends into little balls and flick them across the room."

It has saved me on countless times when I have longed to do such a thing to a colleague. First it serves as a prim reminder to not kill. Second, it adds some humor, which is valuable in this old world 'o trouble.

I am being facetious, but honestly, how often do we rely on old sayings. How often do we hold them in high enough regard as to make them factual? "A penny saved is a penny earned", "A stich in time saves nine", "Too many cooks spoil the broth". "A soft voice turneth away wrath."

There have even been times when I have used similar sayings like an incantation, chanting it at the back of someones head, projecting them towards that car which seems hell-bent on easing into 40 mph oncoming traffic on State Street, muttering them under my breath in a difficult situation. What would I do without this venting of my spleen?

I should be more like God wants me to be. Long suffering and patient. Perhaps this is a malaise like the Apostle Paul suffered from, a "thorn in the flesh". Allthough truth be told I give in to too many thorns in the flesh. More likely I give in to this impatience as I feel like life is passing me by and I will miss the things I want to accomplish. Let me throw in another wise saw: "Life is in the journey and not the destination."

My answers have unexpectedly come this Friday at work. My spleen has been vented, and the crow has been eaten. Such is the life of a manager, making up our place mat and eating up the dogs dinner another made of a situation. I do give thanks to God that I have come through it, and that words can be unmade. Monday requires a disiplinary action for my colleague, and hopefully my proxy apology email falls on a fertile heart and not stony ground.

Jay out

1 comment:

Scarbones said...

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't grind it up and shove it in his ears." - My dad

"You can lead a horse to water, but if you can get him to jump in and float on his back, then you've GOT something." - Old Irishman