Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11 5th anniversary today

I know the WWW will be clogged with thoughts memories ramblings dealing with grief and memory of 9/11 today, and my tiny corner of cyber space is not sigificant in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to just post something about today.

What a day. The entire deal still makes me mad--so many peiople dying at the hands of extreme zealots. So...selfish. I know we are viewed as the western "evil" to these terrorists, also that Allah has a hundred virgins waiting in heaven for their good deeds. Do these men believe this is really going to happen? I can think of nothing that feels more skewed than this. Faith is just that, belief in things which are not seen, but some things just smack me as odd. Can you imagine being one of the 100 virgins who lived your whole life covered and veiled, living the values you leaned in the Koran, and basically you become a slave to someone who murdered innocents? W E I R D. Like I said, it smacks. It is strange thinking.

Anyway, I have no idea why I ranted about that. I am not against Islam. I believe by and large the religion is good. It just seems that there are mad clerics who have their own perogative in mind and they stir their people to rebellion.

So today is 5 years after the fact that terrorism struck on American Soil. The wounds feel broken back open every time I see images or read about them. The sadness is there, and it is still mixed with anger. Fear is not acceptible, as an American, I cannot let it rule my life.

So today I wear black, mirroring Johnny Cash: "...until things are brighter, I'm the Man in Black."

-Jay

No comments: